One year in seminary I set a new year’s resolution to eat not one single French fry for a whole year. Now, it’s funny to think about all of my friends thinking I was accomplishing an unbelievable feat. I made it a whole year but all it did was “resolve” that I could survive without a fry. All a resolution is is a decision to or not to do something. It’s really not that inspiring. But Dictionary.com defines a goal as “the result or achievement toward which effort is directed”! Wow that’s inspirational! It’s so inspirational that the Apostle Paul uses this term to describe a life purpose: “I press on toward the goal to win the prize of God’s heavenly calling in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14).” Goals give you purpose. In fact, in 2019, let’s not just make a goal, let’s make a S.M.A.R.T. goal! Here are five S.M.A.R.T contributors to complete your goals:
- Specific – General goals are not tangible such as I’m going to work out more. But the more details you put to the goal, it’ll come alive: I’m going to do a dumbbell work out before I go to my first ministry meeting and during my weekdays I’m going to meet one new person to converse the Good News of Jesus with.
- Measurable – You can’t measure loving your neighbor more in 2019, but you can make a goal of ringing their doorbell once a week and asking them how you may pray for them. This also allows you to evaluate whether or not your goal is on track during the year. One of our goals for 2018 was to make a film revealing to you what God has done through Mobilize Ministries™ with testimonies. Here it is.
- Attainable – I’m most likely not going to have a leading role in a Hollywood film this year even though I’m convinced my wife knows I’m better looking than Channing Tatum. Sorry, Channing. But, in 2019, we are expanding Mobilize Ministries™ to Hollywood in the Spring.
- Readjust – Let’s not be static and legalistic. God might open doors or reveal new insights that may lead you to readjust the goal set. Be open to this and the newness that comes into your life: “Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it (Isaiah 43:19)?” Be perceptive.
- Timeline – In 2017, my wife and I had a S.M.A.R.T. goal to launch this growing Mobilize Ministries™ in January 2018 We did it! Of coarse we planned and made the goal to establish the 501c3 nonprofit by November 2017 to make this happen. in 2018, we made a S.M.A.R.T. goal to start a fund to support people like you on your short term mission trips with a one year plan upon return to help you continue to carry out the Great Commission among your existing spheres of influence through your everyday life in the States. Will you plan today to become a monthly giver to Mobilize Ministries™ in 2019 to support the new short-term mission trip fund and the Mobilize Ministries™ expansion to Hollywood? Click “Give Now” today to set up your monthly giving for 2019.