As the first class starts at 8:00 a.m., the teacher gives the assignment: “Write down 10 things
These two special ones would be in my top three today under Jesus 🙂
you’re thankful for so far today.” Do What?! I just woke up. I have not had my coffee yet. I’m just trying not to fall out of my wheelchair. After weeks of doing this back in seminary, my morning perspective changed:
- I’m thankful woke up this morning.
- I’m thankful ate breakfast on my way out the door.
- I’m thankful I have a lightweight wheelchair so i’m not slowed down.
- I’m thankful I got to drive to class.
- I’m thankful I have a jeep that i drove here.
Wow, this black and white verse came alive: “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:18
NLT).” Not only is this a great positive thinking exercise. Thriving in thankfulness is God’s will for you and me! Then, I was on a “roll”:
- I am able to throw my wheelchair in the back of the jeep!
- I am able to walk around my jeep!
- I am blessed to be in seminary.
- I have clothes and shoes to wear.
- I do not HAVE to be anxious about anything, now!
If I’m tempted to be anxious or to worry, I write the list above today. In fact, God’s Living Word says this: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6 NIV).” I love what comes after this big “but”… “with thanksgiving”!
Stop reading this right now. I encourage you to write down ten things you’re thankful for today! Go!
We’re thankful for you!